tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Bob Marcum <bmar...@BCScomputers.com>
Subject Re: Seeking the right solution to java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.mysql.jdbc.Driver
Date Fri, 24 Jul 2009 00:21:33 GMT
Whahoo!

Following its_toasted's recipes I have successfully implemented, successively, both Tomcat
managed Database pooling and Hibernate Managed Database pooling.

I did have a couple of issues to fix when implementing Hibernate managed pooling:
1) Order of entries into the xml.  I first simply appended the database connection and pooling
properties to my existing hibernate,cfg.xml.  Wrong!  The "mapping" element must come AFTER
the property elements to conform to the dtd.
2) I had to comment out the datasource property for the configuration to work.  Its-toated
referred to this porblem in the context of Tomcat managed pooling, but I had no problem with
it there.  I did have problems with that issue when configuring the Hibernate managed pooling.
 I have included here the hibernate.cfg.xml that works for me.  Note the datasource property
commented out.

<hibernate-configuration>

  <session-factory>

<!--
    <property name="connection.datasource">java:comp/env/jdbc/CSRapp</property>
-->
    <property name="show.sql">false</property>
    <property name="dialect">org.hibernate.dialect.MySQLDialect</property>

    <!-- Database connection information -->
    <property name="connection.driver_class">com.mysql.jdbc.Driver</property>
    <property name="connection.url">jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/CSRapp</property>
    <property name="connection.username">CSRapp</property>
    <property name="connection.password">CSRapp</property>

    <!-- Connection pool parameters -->
    <property name="connection_provider_class">org.hibernate.connection.CP30ConnectionProvider</property>
    <property name="c3p0.minPoolSize">4</property>
    <property name="c3p0.timeout">5000</property>

    <!-- Mapping files -->
    <mapping resource="org/bcs/server/utils/ServiceProvider.hbm.xml"/>

  </session-factory>

</hibernate-configuration>

Wanting my database configuration tightly coupled to my application, the Hibernate managed
approach works best for me.

Thank you all for a great job and great help.

Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
>>From: its_toasted@yahoo.com [mailto:its_toasted@yahoo.com]
>>Subject: Re: Seeking the right solution to
>>java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.mysql.jdbc.Driver
>>
>>PS - I just hacked together the Hibernate-controlled database
>>connection / pooling on a freshly installed Tomcat 6.0.20.
>>It works as advertised.
>

> A very comprehensive and useful writeup; thanks.  Please consider adding the Hibernate-controlled
pooling description to the Tomcat FAQ/Wiki Database section - or at least a pointer to the
relevant Hibernate doc.