tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: request.getPathInfo() gets truncated when ";" is present
Date Thu, 23 Jul 2009 20:56:49 GMT
Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
>> From: Peter J. Farrell [mailto:peter@mach-ii.com]
>> Subject: request.getPathInfo() gets truncated when ";" is present
>>
>> I'm trying to figure out a particular strange problem with
>> request.getPathInfo() data being truncated.
>
> It's unfortunate that the mailing list doesn't have a filter that automatically bounces
postings from people who can't be bothered to include the version of Tomcat they're using.

Adding insult to injury, in a matter of speaking, is the fact that the
shown encoding scheme for URI's is, in my view, totally wrong.
& -> &  is a correct encoding for HTML and XML, but not for URI's.

And URI's containing "&" and ";" characters in the path are, at the very
least, "cruising for a bruising" ?

In other words, Peter, I have the definite impression that this which
you call "strange problem with request.getPathInfo() data being
truncated" is in fact not a problem of Tomcat at all, it is a problem
with your application logic.

You should re-read the following carefully :
http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec3.html#sec3.2.2
and also section "2. URI Characters and Escape Sequences" of the RFC2396.

Both "&" and ";" are "reserved" characters, used as separators between
elements.  For instance, ";" separates "parameters" from other path
components.
I would not be surprised if you tried request.getParameters(), and you
obtained some of the bits you say you're missing.