tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Trouble setting up virtual host
Date Thu, 23 Jul 2009 16:43:18 GMT
Lisa D Beggs/AC/VCU wrote:
> Allright, let's continue step by step, based on the above.
>
> Q5:
> a) Open a Windows command window.
>
> b) Type "nslookup adm138"
> The last line of the response is an IP address.  What is it ?
>
> 128.172.12.129  (which is IP of ADM138)
>
> c) Type "nslookup www.fmdreports.vcu.edu"
> The last line of the response is an IP address.  What is it ?
>
> 128.172.12.129  (which is IP of ADM138)

The above is good. It means that at least the DNS part is OK.

> Q6:
> when the users now type the following URL in their browser :
> http://www.fmdreports.vcu.edu
> what page do they see ?
>
> Can not display webpage
>
> Is it the same page as when you type this URL in your browser :
> http://adm138
>
> Can not display webpage

That is not good.  It means either that Tomcat is not working properly,
or that something is blocking port 80.

> another note.....now that I have changed port from 8080 to 80,
How exactly did you do this ?

  I cannot
> see my default URL (http://adm138/InfoViewApp) either on user workstation
> (not sure if same or different issue, can see on server with no problem)

Q6.5 :
Can you explain what you mean by "can see on server with no problem" ?
Do you mean that if you open a browser directly on the server console,
then you can see the Tomcat default page when you enter :
either
http://www.fmdreports.vcu.edu
and/or
http://adm138
?

But if you do this on any other workstation, you get a "cannot display
this page" answer ?

A whole bunch of new questions :

Q7:
In which directory is Tomcat installed on this server ?

Q8:
Supposing for now that this directory is "c:\tomcat", then under this
directory, are there the following subdirectories :
- c:\tomcat\conf ?
- c:\tomcat\webapps ?
- c:\tomcat\webapps\ROOT ?
- c:\tomcat\webapps\InfoViewApp ?

(replace "c:\tomcat\" above by whatever directory your Tomcat is really
installed in)

Q9:
Is there any other (than InfoViewApp) Tomcat-based application running
on that server ?
Will there be other applications there in the near future ?

Q10:
Suppose that we set this server up so that /both/ the URLs :
http://www.fmdreports.vcu.edu
and
http://adm138
return directly the login page of your application, would this be a
problem ?
Or do you need that "http://adm138" still returns the default Tomcat
homepage ?

Q11:
In the "\conf" subdirectory of your Tomcat installation, there is a file
named "server.xml".  In that file, there is a section resembling the
following (the ports may be different) :

     <!-- Define a non-SSL HTTP/1.1 Connector on port 8180 -->
        connectionTimeout="20000" disableUploadTimeout="true" />

Can you copy and paste that section in your answer ?

Q12:
On the server, in a command window, enter the following command :
netstat -anb -p tcp
then also paste the response in your answer here.