tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Trouble setting up virtual host
Date Thu, 23 Jul 2009 14:41:05 GMT
Lisa D Beggs/AC/VCU wrote:
> Can you tell us first under what kind of host this Tomcat is running ?
> Is it a Unix system, a Linux system, a Windows system ?
>
> We are running Windows Server 2003
>
> Second :
> I am going to ask some pretty basic questions.  Can you answer them,
> even if you think that they are stupid, or that you have already
> answered them ?  That will give us some insight into the situation, to
> help you quicker.
>
> Q1 : I presume that this, until now, is a working server. Yes/No ?  Yes
>
> Q2: If yes, how do the users access it now ? What exact URL do they type
> in the browser location bar, to access the homepage of this server ?
>
> They used to type in http://adm138:8080/InfoViewApp - until I changed the
> port to 80 so now it is http://adm138/InfoViewApp - we want them to now be
> able to type in www.fmdreports.vcu.edu or fmdreports.vcu.edu to be able to
> get to that same page just easier to remember url for them
>
> Q3: Still if yes, does that same URL work from all workstations, and do
> they all get the same page for the same URL ? And which page is that ?
>
> Yes, when they type in that page they get
> http://adm138/InfoViewApp/logon.jsp and this is what I need the DNS names
> to be redirected to.

Allright, let's continue step by step, based on the above.

Q5:
a) Open a Windows command window.

b) Type "nslookup adm138"
The last line of the response is an IP address.  What is it ?

c) Type "nslookup www.fmdreports.vcu.edu"
The last line of the response is an IP address.  What is it ?

Q6:
when the users now type the following URL in their browser :
http://www.fmdreports.vcu.edu
what page do they see ?

Is it the same page as when you type this URL in your browser :
http://adm138