tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier>
Subject Re: chunked encoding
Date Wed, 15 Jul 2009 17:38:59 GMT
Anthony J. Biacco wrote:
> I'd like to re-open my initial chunking problem briefly here, and maybe move it to apache/modules-dev

Maybe more like the Apache users list though.

Let's maybe summarise the issue first.
Your configuration is :
client <-> apache httpd with mod_deflate <-> mod_jk <-> Tomcat

The responses are generated by Tomcat, but you have to see this a bit
differently.  As far as Apache httpd is concerned, the "response
handler" or "content generator" is mod_jk.  Apache does not really know
or care that there is a Tomcat behind.  It just passes a request to
mod_jk, and gets a response in return.

The real "culprit" here for your chunked encoding and lack of
content-length header is mod_deflate (as Rainer indicated).
It has to do that, because it compresses the response on-the-fly, and
does not know the compressed response size in advance.

There are quite a few possibilities to "tailor" the behaviour of
mod_deflate, so maybe you want to have a look again at
before anything else.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message