tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Problem with system property
Date Wed, 08 Jul 2009 11:42:05 GMT
CBy wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We have a third-party webapp that sets the following system property:
>
> System.setProperty("javax.xml.transform.TransformerFactory","net.sf.saxon.TransformerFactoryImpl");

> This effectively forces all other webapps to use Saxon as an XLST/XQuery
> processor, see:
>
> http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/api/javax/xml/transform/TransformerFactory.html#newInstance%28%29

> Other webapps, which are perfectly happy with the default, now suddenly
> have to include saxon9.jar to get successfully deployed. I can imagine
> conflicting webapps in the future. I feel a bit hijacked by this
> third-party application

You are.

(we do not have the source code). What is the
> best way to deal with this?

- Bitterly complain to the supplier of that app.
- in the meantime, run this app in a separate Tomcat (and JVM) instance.

I don't believe there's much else you can do, since those properties are
really JVM-global.  I had the same case a while ago, with some webapp
setting the language properties.  Depending of the order in which
webapps were being loaded and started, my whole Tomcat would end up
speaking in (different) tongues...

If you really need this webapp, implementing a front-end which proxies
the calls to your webapps to distinct Tomcat instances (listening to
different ports) may be the easiest way.