tomcat-users mailing list archives

Subject RE: Logging servlet time and connections
Date Thu, 23 Jul 2009 18:55:35 GMT
Sorry, the Tomcat version is 5.5.  See below...

Quoting "Caldarale, Charles R" <>:

>> From: []
>> Subject: Logging servlet time and connections
>> I need to log incoming connections to tomcat
> What you really need to do is tell us the version of Tomcat you're
> using.  Since you didn't, this response pertains to the current
> version (6.0.20).
>> (when connected, then disconnected),
> Are you referring to the TCP connection?  Or the user session?

It could be user sessions if thats whats available.  Basically the
acceptCount for the connector is much higher than the maxThread count.
  So some connections are being held (queued?) without processing.  We
would like to know when this is happening and for how long (if

>> as well as the servlet it's running.
> A request may pass through many servlets (and filters) before
> completion.  Do you want to know each one?  If so, you'll need to
> implement some logging in your webapp.

No, just when the servlet starts processing and when its complete (we
do know the exact servlet we are worried about).  Ideally we would
have had debug logging in the servlet, but the one we are looking at
does not contain that information so we were hoping tomcat has
something we can turn on that would tell us when "doPost" is called
and when its completed.

>> I am trying to find out information on how long its taking to
>> process our servlet
> Start with the AccessLogValve:
>> as well as how long connections may be queued.
> If you're referring to queuing for an actual TCP connection, that's
> not visible to Tomcat.  It's done by the OS in its TCP/IP stack, and
>  monitoring of that is OS specific - and you didn't tell us what
> you're using.

See the comment about the accept count above.