tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Daniel Henrique Alves Lima <email_danie...@yahoo.com.br>
Subject Re: POST request hangs hup
Date Thu, 02 Jul 2009 22:20:03 GMT

On Thu, 2009-07-02 at 23:40 +0200, Ivan Longhi wrote:
> Hi,

	Hi, Ivan.

> I'm running tomcat 6.0.18 with java 1.6.0_13 on a linux box.
> The only webapp deployed is Sun OpenSSO (http://www.opensso.org) built from
> source (20090930).
> Sometimes a tomcat thread hangs hup while serving a POST request
> (/UI/Login): monitoring tomcat
> status I see the processing time grows and the thread never ends. When this
> happens I am not able to shutdown
> tomcat with shutdown.sh and I need to kill -9 the java process.
> I think it is not a problem of memory exausted because if I run "top" the
> memory usage by java process
> is ok (a few hundreds MB despite CATALINA_OPTS="-Xmx6048M") but the cpu
> usage is 100%.

	I think could be anything: An infinite loop in your app, a database (or
other resource) deadlock, any intensive db query (with a really long
transaction timeout).
	For instance, last month we've adopted a new Transaction Manager that
keeps some threads (non daemons) running and prevents Tomcat of doing a
"clean" stop. Now i'm "forcing" Tomcat to stop after 5 minutes waiting.

	My (little) experience tells me that in cases like this, your app is
more guilt than your Application Server/Web Container. But it is just my
2 cents.

	[]'s

--
"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day,
 that my child may have peace."

Thomas Paine