tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: Error during initialization of VM
Date Fri, 24 Jul 2009 13:37:47 GMT
> From: Goddard Jiri [mailto:g0dd4rd@googlemail.com]
> Subject: Re: Error during initialization of VM
>
> The Tomcat is currently up and running - all I've done is
> just set the Xms256m.

If the value was zero in the Tomcat registry settings, that will cause the error you observed.
 The Tomcat service wrapper always specifies minimum and maximum heap sizes when starting
the JVM, so if either registry entry was missing or corrupted, it likely used a value of zero.
 Note that these are *not* the default
heap size limits, which are plenty to allow the JVM to initialize, although it may not be
able to load much in the way of user classes.

(The request to show CATALINA_OPTS is irrelevant, since you're running this as a Windows service,
and environment variables aren't used.  Also, the amount of RAM on the system doesn't matter,
since we're talking about virtual, not real, space here.)

> Unfortunately, the JVM is an old one - JRE 1.4.2 (with all the
> extensions needed to run Tomcat 5.5.17). It works just fine

It may work fine, but you'll get much, much better performance with a newer JVM.  I'd strongly
recommend upgrading.

> It may be the case you are describing, but shouldn't it tell
> something like: "Not enough memory" or "Cannot allocate Java
> Heapspace" or something like that?

The message you're getting is produced by the JVM only when initialization fails so early
that none of the internal error mechanisms are available.  Newer JVMs do produce more descriptive
messages - another reason to upgrade.

 - Chuck