tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: what is the upper limit of maximum heap memory for Tomcat with32-bit JVM running on Red Hat Linux 4 (32-bit)
Date Fri, 24 Jul 2009 00:28:08 GMT
> From: Li,Henry [mailto:henryli@mdanderson.org]
> Subject: what is the upper limit of maximum heap memory for Tomcat
> with32-bit JVM running on Red Hat Linux 4 (32-bit)
>
> My Tomcat is running on 32-bit Red Hat 4 (2.6.9-78.0.1.ELsmp), host
> server has 8G physical memory and 4 processors.

The amount of RAM is not pertinent to the maximum heap size; the latter is limited by whatever
virtual (not real) space the OS allows for a process.  For Linux, that's either 2 or 3 GB,
but lots of things have to fit in there besides the JVM's heap.

> java version "1.4.2"  gcj (GCC) 3.4.6 20060404 (Red Hat 3.4.6-10)

Dump that JVM - you'll need a real one to do any real work.  Use a Sun JDK or OpenJDK, latest
version.  They're both much more stable than gcj, and much, much faster.

> The maximum # I can reach is -Xmx2680M.

Then your 32-bit Linux is allowing a process space of 3 GB.

 - Chuck