tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: Logging servlet time and connections
Date Thu, 23 Jul 2009 19:44:29 GMT
> From: craig@thetimmermans.net [mailto:craig@thetimmermans.net]
> Subject: RE: Logging servlet time and connections
>
> It could be user sessions if thats whats available.

You can implement an HttpSessionListener to track sessions coming and going within a webapp.
 See the servlet spec for details.

> Basically the acceptCount for the connector is much higher
> than the maxThread count.

The two values are unrelated, so one being higher than the other is irrelevant.  Tomcat just
passes the acceptCount to the TCP/IP stack, and has no means of examining what the TCP/IP
stack does with it.

> So some connections are being held (queued?) without processing.

Are you sure?  Regardless, such information is not available to Tomcat, but it /may/ be available
from your OS.

> No, just when the servlet starts processing and when its complete
> (we do know the exact servlet we are worried about).

It's probably easiest to add logging to the particular servlet to get that specific information.
 Once the logging calls are added, you can control whether or not they are recorded by manipulating
conf/logging.properties.

You may be able to get Tomcat to display such fine-grained detail, but it would likely require
setting a logging level of DEBUG, which would get way too much data written and be a performance
problem.

 - Chuck