tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: Logging servlet time and connections
Date Thu, 23 Jul 2009 18:00:58 GMT
> From: craig@thetimmermans.net [mailto:craig@thetimmermans.net]
> Subject: Logging servlet time and connections
>
> I need to log incoming connections to tomcat

What you really need to do is tell us the version of Tomcat you're using.  Since you didn't,
this response pertains to the current version (6.0.20).

> (when connected, then disconnected),

Are you referring to the TCP connection?  Or the user session?

> as well as the servlet it's running.

A request may pass through many servlets (and filters) before completion.  Do you want to
know each one?  If so, you'll need to implement some logging in your webapp.

> I am trying to find out information on how long its taking to
> process our servlet

Start with the AccessLogValve:
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/config/valve.html#Access%20Log%20Valve

> as well as how long connections may be queued.

If you're referring to queuing for an actual TCP connection, that's not visible to Tomcat.
 It's done by the OS in its TCP/IP stack, and monitoring of that is OS specific - and you
didn't tell us what you're using.

 - Chuck