tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: tomcate5.exe so active that hard disk never stops spinning
Date Thu, 16 Jul 2009 13:18:34 GMT
> From: Richard B. Gazey [mailto:Richard.Gazey@midlandheart.org.uk]
> Subject: tomcate5.exe so active that hard disk never stops spinning
>
> It is querying pretty much all the time with 20 or 30 reads per second.
>
> My question is that is this normal for a Tomcat installation or is this
> a configuration setting that could be adjusted to cause less frequent
> activity and would this be recommended ?

It's normal for Tomcat in a development environment; you apparently haven't configured it
for production.

Your disk activity is likely due to still having autoDeploy turned on in your <Host>
elements; look there and for <WatchedResource> elements inside any <Context>,
and for monitoring of JSP changes configurable in conf/web.xml.

Take a look at this, or hire Mark or Filip to do it for you:
http://www.springsource.com/webinar/performance-tuning-apache-tomcat-production

 - Chuck