tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Pawel Zmarlicki <pzmarlic...@hotmail.com>
Subject Custom annotations in a backing bean
Date Tue, 02 Jun 2009 18:58:51 GMT

I use some custom annotations in backing beans in my application.  They works fine as long
as the attribute metadata-complete in web.xml is set to false.  However, when I set it to
true, I get the following exception when JSF is trying to create an instance of the backing
bean:

java.lang.NullPointerException
 at com.sun.faces.vendor.Tomcat6InjectionProvider.inject(Tomcat6InjectionProvider.java:82)
 at com.sun.faces.mgbean.BeanBuilder.injectResources(BeanBuilder.java:203)
 at com.sun.faces.mgbean.BeanBuilder.build(BeanBuilder.java:107)
 at com.sun.faces.mgbean.BeanManager.createAndPush(BeanManager.java:368)

The exception occurs because the statement servletContext.getAttribute(AnnotationProcessor.class.getName())
in Tomcat6InjectionProvider returns null.

It looks like turning off the standard JEE annotations makes it impossible to use custom annotations.
 Has anyone else encountered this problem?  Is there a workaround?

Here are components of my applications:
Java 6, Tomcat 6.0.18, JSF 1.2 Mojarra, Spring 2.5.6, Facelets 1.1.14.