tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Andre-John Mas <aj...@sympatico.ca>
Subject Re: Caching rendered page - reducing hits to the backend?
Date Tue, 02 Jun 2009 09:14:46 GMT

On 2-Jun-2009, at 04:37, Pid wrote:

> Have you already measured the performance of your application and
> determined that caching the rendered pages is the appropriate thing to
> do - ie how have you determined that database access is the
> bottleneck?
>
> If not, caching page content may just hide a multitude of performance
> related sins.
>
> JPA's built-in caching may already provide enough in the way of
> performance improvements to make an additional caching layer
> pointless.
>
> Is the database on a different machine or the same one and are you
> clustering Tomcat?
>
> You're probably worrying unnecessarily.

I think I may end up simply ensuring that the database has enough memory
and slowly evaluate where the bottle necks are. What I will do at the
same
time is have a number of points to watch out for, with possible
solutions.
I will also make sure that the last results for the search are cached
in the user session.

André-John