tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Robert Koberg <...@koberg.com>
Subject Re: Caching rendered page - reducing hits to the backend?
Date Mon, 01 Jun 2009 11:37:56 GMT

On Jun 1, 2009, at 7:12 AM, Tim Funk wrote:

> Worrying is good. Making sure you have metrics is better. You can
> cache lots of different items such as
> - stuff from the database
> - parts of a rendered page
> - the entire page
> - any combination of above
>
> But it really depends on where the bottlenecks are as you scale.
> Even if the DB has a few million entries, if there queries are
> "simple" and the database has enough memory - the database might
> never really be touching disk to return the results of your query
> not be your bottleneck.
>
> The key is making sure you have the ability to log how long differnt
> things take. (And the ability to turn them on or off)  Otherwise you
> are flying blind.

I think you can generally say that the less you have to do on the
server, the better. If you can generate out a page *as much as
possible* so that only the really necessary dynamic components are
created at runtime, then it is better.

We use XSL/XML to pregenerate a JSP bringing all known page content/
components.

I don't see why you would be flying blind. Seems like a no-brainer.

best,
-Rob