tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Dick Eastlake <dickeastl...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Starting Tomcat 6.0
Date Tue, 09 Jun 2009 14:17:58 GMT
Konstantin: That worked.  Started throwing all kinds of Java.security.AccessControlExceptions.
Now I can get to work on the policy.

Many Thanks!

--- On Mon, 6/8/09, Konstantin Kolinko <knst.kolinko@gmail.com> wrote:

From: Konstantin Kolinko <knst.kolinko@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Starting Tomcat 6.0
To: "Tomcat Users List" <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Date: Monday, June 8, 2009, 11:41 PM

2009/6/9 Dick Eastlake <dickeastlake@yahoo.com>:
> I currently start Tomcat with the Procrun Service Manager.
>
> It's an app called Apache Tomcat Properties with  six tabbed forms: general, log on,
logging, java, startup and shutdown.

> To start Tomcat I press the start button in the general tab.
>
> I want to experiment with security, lock down a directory so that only authenticated
users can get the pages, etc.

> The doc says I need to:
> Starting Tomcat With A SecurityManager
>
>  Once you have configured the catalina.policy file for use
>  with a SecurityManager, Tomcat can be started with a SecurityManager in
>  place by using the "-security" option:
>
> %CATALINA_HOME%\bin\catalina start -security      (Windows)
>
> Unfortunately, I need more specific instructions on how to do this (not the policy file
changes, just the start part.)  I'm on Windows XP Pro SP3

> Please and thank you.

Switch to the "Java" tab and add the following two lines
into the "Java Options" field:

-Djava.security.manager
-Djava.security.policy==C:\Program Files\Apache Software
Foundation\Tomcat 6.0\conf\catalina.policy

Notes:
1. Adjust the path according to your configuration
2. There are two equal signs in the second line. That is as intended.
(If interested, see "Specifying an Additional Policy File at Runtime"
here:
http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/technotes/guides/security/PolicyFiles.html#DefaultLocs
)

Best regards,