tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat throwing some weird errors
Date Fri, 26 Jun 2009 06:36:39 GMT
John Oliver wrote:
> RHEL5.2, tomcat5-5.5.23-0jpp.7.el5_2.1, Sun Java JDK 1.6.0u13

> Is there something else that needs to be restarted or installed or set
> or ??? to make it leave the symlinks?  Or some other package from Sun
> that includes jndi.jar, jaas.jar, and jdbc-stdext.jar?

I think you need to ask the RedHat support people what they have done
with the Tomcat and Java packages.  Nobody here will be able to tell you.

Note : this is not ill-will, nor some principled stance against
pre-packaged Tomcat's and Java's.  It's just that these pre-packaged
versions usually split the Java and Tomcat files over umpteen
directories, set up myriads of symlinks to make it all work, and have
their own init.d startup scripts adapted to that setup.
They have their good reasons to do that, but it's just almost impossible
to help you without having the same system at hand.

I would just offer one recommendation : since you are using the RedHat
packages and tools, it should be easy to de-install the Java and Tomcat
packages, then re-install them.  Re-install Java first, and verify that
"which java" and "java -version" really show you the version you just
(re-)installed.
Then re-install Tomcat, and check if things are better.
The point is, with these installs, if just one symlink is missing
somewhere, that could mess up the whole thing.