tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: The best place for implementing context specific behavior?
Date Thu, 25 Jun 2009 20:20:40 GMT
Jonathan Mast wrote:
> Haha thanks, Andre, I'm not lost but it seems other people might be.
>
> I'm going to go ahead define separate hosts, although the <Alias> option
> mentioned might work, I don't know if it would preserve correctly the value
> returned by request.getLocalName()
that's *wrong*, you should use request.getServerName().
getLocalName() will give you the name of the local "physical" machine,
as per the interface your server's Tomcat is Listening on.
(in other words, you will always get the same answer).
getServerName will give you the hostname that the client used in his
request, which is what you want.

which is what I'm using for determining
> the host specific content, but if someone knows better than say so.  The
> <Alias> element is kinda poorly documented on tomcat.apache.com, it only has
> a paragraph. Seems like a holdover from httpd configs....

No it isn't. Using <Alias> or using another <Host> are two entirely
different animals.
Both will achieve the same if all you want to do is a getServerName() at
request time, but that's about all they have in common.