tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Mix http and https on one tomcat server?
Date Thu, 18 Jun 2009 20:37:53 GMT
Bruce Edge wrote:

> I can do this:
>
>         <Valve className="org.apache.catalina.valves.RemoteAddrValve"
> allow="127.*"/>
>
> but does that really do anything if I'm already accepting connections from
> 127.*?

You're right (and perceptive). /That/ Valve does not help.
Chuck meant that you'd need to write one.
Which for him I'm sure is a piece of cake. ;-)

> What do you mean by a filter?

The first 3 paragraphs of this :
http://java.sun.com/products/servlet/Filters.html
are a quick intro.

See it like this (very simplified of course)

a) without a filter

Client -> Request -> your webapp -> Response -> Client

b) with a filter

Client -> Request -> filter(a) -> Request -> your webapp -> Response ->

filter(b) -> Response -> Client

filter(a) and filter(b) are actually contained in the same piece of
software.  It is a kind of "wrapper" that "wraps" your webapp.  It sees
all that comes in before your webapp does (and can modify it), and sees
everything that comes out of your webapp (and can modify it before the
Client sees it).
It's very neat, because you do not need to modify your webapp in any
way, and it does not even know that it is being wrapped.

It's even rather simple to write, since even I could do it.

For a (very useful) example of a filter, see here :
http://tuckey.org/urlrewrite/
which may or may not be what you need in this case