tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Serving images from classes directory
Date Thu, 18 Jun 2009 20:18:49 GMT
Susan G. Conger wrote:
> All that is controlled by the tool app (Not written by me).  That is why I
> have to play nice. :-) Here is my web.xml for the tool app.

>   <!DOCTYPE web-app (View Source for full doctype...)>
> - <web-app>
etc..

While not being in any way the expert here, the more I see and hear
about this webapp, (or is it "webapp embedded in another webapp and
using an Invoker to serve other stuff"), the more I'm getting uneasy and
thinking this is a very big mess.

Let me suggest an unconventional drastic solution :

Put an Apache httpd in front of this Tomcat.
Unzip your war file, and put the content somewhere under the httpd
document root.
Have httpd serve anything that is static, wherever it ends up being
under /WEB-INF under this httpd document root.
(Apache httpd does not have the scruples about /WEB-INF/ that Tomcat has).
Delete everything that it /not/ static (*.jsp,*.class,*.jar,..) from
this Apache httpd structure (so you don't serve it raw by mistake).
Now connect httpd with Tomcat using a connector like mod_proxy_ajp or
mod_jk, and forward all the real dynamic calls to Tomcat.
Tomcat will by default not serve anything under /WEB-INF/.
But that's fine : whatever static you need there, would already have
been served by httpd.

Unless this webapp within a webapp really generates static content
on-the-fly, all of the above can be done with a simple shell script.