tomcat-users mailing list archives

From CBy <tom...@byrman.demon.nl>
Subject Tomcat shutdown problem due to running threads.
Date Wed, 17 Jun 2009 08:33:45 GMT
O'Reilly's Tomcat The Definitive Guide advises me to invoke the
setDaemon(true) method on any Thread object a web application creates to
keep them from hanging the JVM when Tomcat shuts down. My web service,
however, uses a thread pool that is created via
java.util.concurrent.Executors.newFixedThreadPool(NTHREADS) and I don't
know how to make them daemon threads in this case.

My new plan was to register a shutdown hook with the JVM in my web
service and to invoke shutdown() or shutdownNow() on the ExecutorService
in it (the method above returns an ExecutorService). Unfortunately, this
does not seem to work.

Is there another way to be notified when Tomcat shuts down, so I can
shutdown the thread pool accordingly?

Thanks in advance,

Carsten