tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Beginner with apache
Date Mon, 15 Jun 2009 09:56:23 GMT
Hracek, Petr wrote:
> Tomcat 5.5 is onstalled on openSUSE11.1
> Tomcat configuration files are stored in /etc/tomcat55/
> TOMCAT_HOME is /srv/www/tomcat55/
> Servlet locations are /opt/swt/servlet and /opt/sso/servlets

Well then, my guess was wrong, and in my answer below, replace RedHat by
Suse..

The point is, for example :
the <Context> elements that you have in your server.xml file, should not
normally be there, if this is Tomcat 5.5.
If these things are needed at all, they should be in a
webapps/your-webapp/META-INF/context.xml file.
Why in your case these <Context> tags are in the Suse server.xml, only
Suse support guys will know.
The same is for what you say above : I believe you are wrong, and that
TOMCAT_HOME is not what you think.
The two environment values which matter here are CATALINA_HOME and
CATALINA_BASE.
(see http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/appdev/deployment.html)
On your Suse system, CATALINA_HOME is probably /usr/share/tomcat5.5, and
CATALINA_BASE is /srv/www/tomcat5.5/base
(that's where you will probably find a "webapps" directory, and that is
(normally) where your webapps should be placed.
Again, if you want to use the Suse pre-packaged Tomcat, then the Suse
support guys are your best source, or an OpenSuse forum.

Please understand that it is not that I (or other people on this forum)
don't want to help. But each pre-packaged distribution does things a bit
differently, and not everyone here has an OpenSuse system available to
compare.
So usually people on this forum use the "standard Tomcat" (as downloaded
from the site "tomcat.apache.org") as a reference.  And all the on-line
doc for Tomcat also of course.