tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat 6.0.18 access files case-insensitive
Date Thu, 11 Jun 2009 22:57:08 GMT
Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
>> From: André Warnier [mailto:aw@ice-sa.com]
>> Subject: Re: Tomcat 6.0.18 access files case-insensitive
>>
>> Now if the attribute is false, does that mean that Tomcat will try all
>> possible case variations between "abc.html" and "ABC.HTML" before it
>> gives up ?
>
> I just looked at the code in FileDirContext.java (and related classes), and it does not
seem to.  It wouldn't have to try all variations; it could simply use the String.equalsIgnoreCase()
method on each entry in the directory of interest, or force everything to one case or another
when it builds its internal lookup table - but I couldn't find anything like that going on.

Even that wouldn't work.
Since the filesystem is case-sensitive, it may well have both "abc.html"
and "ABC.HTML" in the same directory. So which one would it pick to keep ?

So, back to the Tomcat developers.  What /is/ the point of the
caseSensitive attribute in the <Context> element ?