tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat 6.0.18 access files case-insensitive
Date Thu, 11 Jun 2009 22:06:54 GMT
Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
>> From: André Warnier [mailto:aw@ice-sa.com]
>
>> I also wonder what the purpose of this attribute really is, in fact.
>> Should this not always be left to "case sensitive = true" ?
>
> Unless you're begging for trouble, or have a really, really sloppy programming staff.
>
>> - but under a case-sensitive filesystem, what would be a good reason to
>> set it to "false" ?
>
> Extremely lazy users, or non-browser clients that were badly and inconsistently programmed.

Well, just follow me for a minute.

Suppose we do have a case-sensitive filesystem, and we set this
attribute to false.
The URL is case-sensitive anyway. Or rather, let's say that it is
treated "as is".

Now suppose there exists a file in the (case-sensitive) filesystem
called "ABC.HTML".
And suppose the client asks for "/abc.html".

Now if the attribute is false, does that mean that Tomcat will try all
possible case variations between "abc.html" and "ABC.HTML" before it
gives up ?

And otherwise, what's the point ?