tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier>
Subject Re: What to upgrade?
Date Wed, 10 Jun 2009 22:38:46 GMT
Let me add some non-technical and subjective advice.

I have kind of collected the impression over time here, that going from
tomcat 5.5 to 6.x introduced at least some additional issues.
(This being said totally subjectively by someone who does not really
know what he's talking about, but just goes by what he reads.)

Thus, while from a technical point of view, the jump from 4.2 to 6.0 may
be less hassle in total than the sum of 2 consecutive jumps from 4.2 to
5.5 and then 5.5 to 6.0, it nevertheless remains that
- management asked for 5.x, not 6.x.
- if anything bad happens going from 4.2 to 5.x, it will have been done
according to explicit management wishes
- while if anything bad happens going from 4.2 to 6.x, it could be
considered by some as having taken an unnecessary and unwarranted risk,
beyond instructions
- not counting the fact that the later step from 5.5 to 6.x, whilst
being comparatively easier, would nevertheless require the allocation of
new time and manpower resources at some future date, which could be
considered a Good Thing in the current depressionary climate

Have I qualified for a government or consultancy job yet ?

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message