tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: What to upgrade?
Date Wed, 10 Jun 2009 20:33:36 GMT
Chetan Chheda wrote:
Disclaimer : The following statements are to be taken in a banking
perspective (past bonuses are no guarantee for future ones); each
situation is slightly different; my own Tomcat applications are not very
sophisticated; my servers are not highly loaded; YMMV.

Having done the same a couple of times, for me this was a relatively
painless (and quick) upgrade, both for the JVM and for Tomcat (from
Tomcat 4.1 to 5.5)(no point in stopping at 5.0).
I have Tomcat 5.5 running with a JVM 1.6 and do not remember having
encountered any problems with that either, so you might as well skip the
JVM 1.5 also.
I believe Tomcat 6 has quite a few more changes compared to 4.1, so you
may not want to risk that in one step.

Save your old tomcat/conf files somewhere for future reference, then
install the new JVM and the new Tomcat, with the standard new conf files
for the new Tomcat. Make sure it runs with some example webapp.
Then /manually/ introduce the needed changes to the new configuration,
one by one, on the base of your old conf files, and check after each
change.
Do /not/ try to keep your old configs for the new Tomcat, or you will
end up with a mess.

You might even be able to do this on the same server in parallel, as
long as you change the ports of your <Connector>'s.

As for mod_jk, apart from making sure that the right Apache jk worker
connects to the right Tomcat, I don't think that there are any real
config changes required.  The newer mod_jk have quite a few new options
though, which you should probably at least have a look at.