tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Which Do I SSL - httpd or Tomcat?
Date Tue, 02 Jun 2009 22:16:46 GMT
Alston, Brian (US SSA) wrote:

>     What I have is 3 virtual servers (VMWare -> Windows Server 2003). One server has
Apache httpd v2.2.11 and two other servers running Apache Tomcat v6.0.18. The Tomcat servers
are independently accessible from outside of the httpd server; so, I assume that I will need
to place SSL on all three servers.

I think the question to ask is : do your Tomcat servers /have to be/
accessible directly, without going through httpd ?
If not, then it is possible to configure Tomcat so that it will /only/
accept connections from the IP address of your httpd server, and from
nowhere else.

The point is : using HTTPS is "expensive" (all communications have to be
encrypted, which has a cost).  So if you can make it so that the http
<-> Tomcat connection is "private", you don't heve to use HTTPS between
them.