tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Matthew Laird <lai...@sfu.ca>
Subject Re: jk Status not showing errors
Date Tue, 02 Jun 2009 18:53:23 GMT
Unfortunately I'm not seeing that.  What I did was start both Tomcats in
my LB pair, start Apache, then I take the second Tomcat down to see if
it will detect it being failed.

Unfortunately it never seems to, it just shows the second as OK/IDLE,
and happily directs all requests to the first.  This concerns me,
because if the second were to fail, then later the first, everything
would die and I'd have no advance warning.  I can't seem to make it ping
and detect a dead Tomcat.

I am using the latest version of mod_jk, I upgraded that before I began
playing with the load balancer settings.  I'd appreciate any feedback on
what I might be doing wrong.  Thanks.

workers.properties:

worker.list=production,development,old,jkstatus

worker.production.type=lb
worker.production.balance_workers=production1,production2
worker.production.sticky_session=True
worker.production.method=S

worker.lbbasic.type=ajp13
worker.lbbasic.connect_timeout=10000
worker.lbbasic.recovery_options=7
worker.lbbasic.socket_keepalive=1
worker.lbbasic.socket_timeout=60
worker.lbbasic.ping_mode=CI

worker.production1.reference=worker.lbbasic
worker.production1.port=8009
worker.production1.host=localhost

worker.production2.reference=worker.lbbasic
worker.production2.port=8012
worker.production2.host=localhost

worker.development.port=8010
worker.development.host=localhost
worker.development.type=ajp13

worker.old.port=8011
worker.old.host=localhost
worker.old.type=ajp13

worker.jkstatus.type=status

Lawrence Lamprecht wrote:
> I do not know if this is relevant or not, but I have just installed the latest version
of mod_jk and the jkstatus is very much better than it used to be.

> I had the same issue with loadbalancers not showing when they are offline or broken.
With the latest version, jksataus has the possibility to auto refresh itself. This now shouws
when load balancers go down without a request being send to it. It is pretty dynamic as well.
I ran several tests where I took one of the balancers down, and left jkstatus refreshing every
10 seconds and that told me that the worker was in error.

> It also shows you that the work is OK - IDLE when the worker is not being used but is
good. As soon as it receives a request the status then changes to OK.

> Hope this helps.
>
> Kind regards / Met vriendelijke groet,
> Lawrence Lamprecht
> Application Content Manager
> QUADREM Netherlands B.V.
> Kabelweg 61, 1014 BA  Amsterdam
> Post Office Box 20672, 1001 NR  Amsterdam
> Office: +31 20 880 41 16
> Mobile: +31 6 13 14 26 31
> Fax: +31 20 880 41 02

Matthew Laird