tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Tim Funk <funk...@joedog.org>
Subject Re: Caching rendered page - reducing hits to the backend?
Date Mon, 01 Jun 2009 11:12:43 GMT
Worrying is good. Making sure you have metrics is better. You can cache
lots of different items such as
- stuff from the database
- parts of a rendered page
- the entire page
- any combination of above

But it really depends on where the bottlenecks are as you scale. Even if
the DB has a few million entries, if there queries are "simple" and the
database has enough memory - the database might never really be touching
disk to return the results of your query not be your bottleneck.

The key is making sure you have the ability to log how long differnt
things take. (And the ability to turn them on or off)  Otherwise you are
flying blind.

-Tim