tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Chetan Chheda <chetan_chh...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: User tracking/monitoring
Date Mon, 01 Jun 2009 15:24:52 GMT
Thanks Tim and Chuck.

Tim,

 Is this something a novice programmer like me can add to our Footer.jsp file? Can you add
your recommendation to a code snippet , I would really appreciate it.

Chuck,

Can you tell me more about 2? How would the sessionId be displayed in the page with that method?
Can you demonstrate that to me with a small example?

3 wont work as most of the users are business users and designers who are not that savvy.

Thank you so much!
Chetan

________________________________
From: "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldarale@unisys.com>
To: Tomcat Users List <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Sent: Friday, May 29, 2009 1:59:01 PM
Subject: RE: User tracking/monitoring

> From: Chetan Chheda [mailto:chetan_chheda@yahoo.com]
> Subject: User tracking/monitoring
>
> Is there anyway we can add the tomcat sessionID to their page so
> that they can tell us where they are?

Besides adding it to some common component of each page of the web site as Tim suggested,
you could do any of the following:

1) Disable cookies and use URL rewriting, forcing the session ID into the URL (can't really
recommend that).

2) Add a filter or valve to append the session ID to each response.

3) Have the users look in the cookie cache of the browser when they have a problem.

Tim's suggestion or perhaps #3 would seem to be the simplest.

- Chuck