tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: Just a few questions on my Tomcat Configuration
Date Wed, 17 Jun 2009 04:02:02 GMT
> From: Josh Gooding [mailto:josh.gooding@gmail.com]
> Subject: Re: Just a few questions on my Tomcat Configuration
>
> Not sure if I follow how you can have more than one webapp
> for any given <Host>.

The normal state of affairs is to have multiple webapps; look at what comes with Tomcat.

> Would you just have multiple <appBase> params

No, the appBase attribute defines where *all* of the <Host> webapps go, each in its
own directory or .war file immediately under the appBase directory.  Again, look at what Tomcat
has in its default distribution; under the webapps directory, you'll find docs, examples,
host-manager, manager, and ROOT.  Each one of those is a separate, independent webapp, with
ROOT being the default for the <Host>; ROOT is used when the URL doesn't match any of
the others.

> I figured that the easiest way to keep everything straight
> and neat would be to bind each instance of the software to
> a sub-domain.

That's *a* way; instead of
http://sub1.domain.com
http://sub2.domain.com
http://sub3.domain.com
you could have used a scheme like
http://domain.com/sub1
http://domain.com/sub2
http://domain.com/sub3

This alternative scheme uses only one <Host>, and deploys the webapp under a different
name for each sub.  This allows you to add or remove subs on the fly, without taking Tomcat
down.  Your current scheme requires restarting Tomcat whenever you want to add or a remove
a subdomain.

> Each sub-domain will have it's own schema, file storage,
> and instance of the software that is bound to it.

Possible under either scheme, since each webapp is completely independent of the others -
other than all running in the same JVM.

 - Chuck