tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: Just a few questions on my Tomcat Configuration
Date Wed, 03 Jun 2009 16:59:53 GMT
> From: Josh Gooding [mailto:josh.gooding@gmail.com]
> Subject: Re: Just a few questions on my Tomcat Configuration
>
> I use virtual hosting to create /abcapps and /xyzapps and install the
> "program" in each directory.

The proper term is webapp, not "program".  A webapp has a spec-defined directory structure
that must be adhered to for proper operation of the webapp.  Browse through the various webapps
that come with Tomcat to get an idea of the layout, read the servlet spec for the details.

> In the <Host> section, bind the sub-domain to them

Also set the appBase attribute of each <Host> to point to the specific sub-domain directories.
 Note that the default webapp for a <Host> must be named ROOT (case sensitive).  One
of your <Host> elements must be declared as the defaultHost for the surrounding <Engine>;
this is the one used when the URL does not match any of the <Host> name attributes (including
references via IP address).

> then I should be able to login per subdomain

Depends on what you mean by login.  If it's just accessing the web site, yes; if you mean
authentication, you'll need to configure the appropriate security mechanism.  This is usually
done with a <Realm>, which can be placed inside an <Engine>, <Host>, or
<Context>, as needed.

> (since I have files being uploaded to the server).

Do not attempt to write files into the appBase directory - keep them outside of Tomcat's directory
structure.

> It's all housed in the Server.xml file right?

<Context> elements are not.  (Watch out for your capitalization; many file names are
case-sensitive, even on Windows.  That should be server.xml, not Server.xml.)

> One more quick note, is there a way that I can break out certain
> sections of the server.xml file into a seperate .properties file?

Not that I'm aware of, although various XML inclusion mechanisms might work (haven't tried).
 You can resolve attribute values from system properties, using the ${prop.name} notation.
 Anything to do with specific webapps should not be in server.xml.

> can I do the same thing in the server.xml file since it is
> a core file that tomcat relies on for it's configuration?

And is thus not intended to be updated frequently.  The contents of server.xml are only read
when Tomcat starts up; changes mad after the fact won't be honored until the next Tomcat restart.

 - Chuck