tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: Just a few questions on my Tomcat Configuration
Date Wed, 03 Jun 2009 14:27:23 GMT
> From: Josh Gooding [mailto:josh.gooding@gmail.com]
> Subject: Re: Just a few questions on my Tomcat Configuration
>
> Tomcat version is 6.0.18.

Good.

> My /conf directory is the standard windows installation directory
> structure it contains no other sud-directories, just my config files.

Tomcat will create the subdirectories as needed, such as when you deploy a .war file that
has an context.xml file in its META-INF directory.  It won't create them until needed.

> If I modify the directory and add the recomended structure,
> will Tomcat pick it up

Yes; it's all Java, so it doesn't care what the platform is.

> also there is a way in Tomcat to do a contextual reload of the
> xml files automatically as soon as they change

Depends on which .xml files you're talking about.  For WEB-INF/web.xml, that's controlled
by a <WatchedResource> element nested inside a <Context> element.  That's enabled
by default for all webapps, since it appears in the global conf/context.xml file.  You can
add other <WatchedResource> elements to the global or individual webapp <Context>
elements to monitor changes in other files, if desired.  You can also set the reloadable attribute
for any <Context> to have Tomcat watch for changes to the webapp classes and jars.
Note that none of the monitoring mechanisms should be used in production, due to the overhead
incurred.  Doc for <Context>:

 - Chuck