tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: Replacing the default ROOT application
Date Tue, 02 Jun 2009 02:10:58 GMT
> From: R Ravichandran [mailto:ravirajamiyer@gmail.com]
> Subject: Replacing the default ROOT application

> _ In the server.xml file,  I created a special <Context>
> element under the <Host> element.

Assuming you're using a current version of Tomcat (you didn't bother to tell us), you should
not be placing <Context> elements in server.xml - remove it.  The <Context> element
belongs in the webapp's META-INF/context.xml file.

> <Context path="/ROOT" docBase="ROOT" debug="5" reloadable="true"

Do not use path or docBase attributes when you put the <Context> element in the proper
place.  (Your path attribute was incorrect anyway.)

> But I get this following error message when the application starts:

Did you follow the doc for JNDI access to mail?
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/jndi-resources-howto.html#JavaMail%20Sessions

There's more to be done than just setting up the <Resource> element.

Read the doc, remove the <Context> element from server.xml, put a proper one in webapps/ROOT/META-INF/context.xml,
correct your WEB-INF/web.xml per the doc, and try again.

 - Chuck