tomcat-users mailing list archives

From will trillich <>
Subject Re: running tomcat5 -- as a service under 64-bit windows? SOLVED
Date Mon, 18 May 2009 19:23:31 GMT
Figured it out!

"How to run TOMCAT 5 as a SERVICE when running under WINDOWS 64-bit"
(enterprise 2003 in our case, but presumably this would apply to other
64-bit windows implementations):

Tomcat v5 is 32-bit, which won't run as a service under Java 64-bit.

The advice at
takes us to

where we download the 64-bit wrappers (tomcat5.exe and tomcat5w.exe)
to replace the originals (in \tomcat\bin).

Then at the command line:
	cd \tomcat\bin
	service.bat install whatever
	tomcat5w.exe //ES//whatever

Set options, and voila! Start menu -> admin tools -> services shows
"apache tomcat whatever" and you can start it and stop it from there.

Now we've got a new, follow-up question -- in a separate email.

On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 2:12 PM, Mark Thomas <> wrote:
> wrote:
>> Plus, the mofidied/64-bit-savvy tomcat5w.exe which is supposed to set
>> parameters for the service, complains that 'tomcat5' doesn't exist.
> When you install the service you have to name it tomcat5. It is a
> 'feature' of that service wrapper that for a service XXX the binarie
> smust be named XXX.exe and XXXw.exe

will trillich
"Our only real economic security lies in our power to meet human
needs." -- S.Covey, the 8th Habit

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message