tomcat-users mailing list archives

From will trillich <trill...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: startup.bat and catalina.bat -> NoClassDefFoundError: server SOLVED
Date Sun, 17 May 2009 01:53:09 GMT
On Sat, May 16, 2009 at 7:30 PM, Caldarale, Charles R
<Chuck.Caldarale@unisys.com> wrote:
> Looks like you have set JAVA_OPTS or CATALINA_OPTS to "server" - which is incorrect.
 When used, it should be "-server"; however, since you're on a 64-bit JVM, it's always in
server mode, and the option is not needed.

>> start "Tomcat" "C:\Java\jdk1.5.0_18\bin\java" server -Xms768m -Xmx768m
>
> As stated before, you're missing the dash in front of "server" (but you don't need -server
at all).

Thanks so much! <blush>That was indeed the problem.</blush> Looks like
a copy-paste didn't include the leading hyphen.

It's always the obvious stuff, isn't it? Overlooked that many, many
times in the past few days. Argh...

Woo hoo! Thanks again, Chuck.

> The Tomcat Native is a subset of httpd known as the Apache Portable Runtime.  It replaces
the Java HTTP/HTTPS handler in Tomcat with one written in C; this will provide better SSL
performance and may improve non-SSL performance in some situations.

> These extra pieces have 64-bit versions since they are written in C, and must therefore
must match the mode the JVM process is running in - just as the tomcat5.exe and tomcat5w.exe
executables must.  Tomcat itself is pure Java, so is platform and architecture independent.

Aha. This might come in handy later.

Thanks!

--
will trillich
"Our only real economic security lies in our power to meet human