tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Martin Gainty <mgai...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: Form Based Authentication creates user session before it is authenticated?
Date Wed, 13 May 2009 13:27:30 GMT

http://www.cafesoft.com/products/cams/tomcat-security.html

if you are asking how to overcome Man-in-the-middle fraudulent manipulation based on basic
authentication?
and or Man-in-the middle fraudulent manipulation based on Form-based authentication which
uses j_username
								and j_password and posts back to j_security_check using cleartext?

i would suggest implementation authentication using either Message-Digest or HTTPS
Message-Digest processes passwords with a Digest algorithm such as SHA, MD2, or MD5..  the
receiving entity must agree on the digested contents for authentication to occur

HTTPS or HTTP on a SSL connection usually implemented with a known key stored in a keystore
where access is controlled by CA (certificate authority) presentation of a certificate..
a good explanation of how Tomcat implements SSL details are available at
http://www.mbaworld.com/docs/ssl-howto.html

commercial vendors such as Verisign
have implemented CA servers which validate the requesting entity and the requestor to ensure
both are indeed who they say they are.. client authenticating to CA authority is a new feature
but prevents spoofed clients from order-execution and/or using spoofed credentials to effect
fraudulent transactions..I would strongly suggest you enable authentication capability in
both directions if using SSL
https://www.verisign.com/support/roots.html

security elements defined and configured by Tomcat:

						Deployment descriptor <security-constraint> elements define
							the permissions and rules for the protected Tomcat resources and
							include the following XML elements:

						web-resource-collection - A set
								of URL patterns and HTTP methods that describe a set of resources
								to be protected. All requests that contain a URL pattern matched
								in a web resource collection are subject to the constraint. auth-constraint - A set
of security
								roles (one or more) to which a user must belong to be granted
								access to resources matched by the web resource collections (e.g. admin/manager) user-data-constraint
- Describes
								integrity and confidentiality requirements for the transport layer
								of the client server.
an example of XSD which describes user-data-constraintType  would be
  <xsd:complexType name="user-data-constraintType">
    <xsd:annotation>
      <xsd:documentation>
    The user-data-constraintType is used to indicate how
    data communicated between the client and container should be
    protected.

    Used in: security-constraint

      </xsd:documentation>
    </xsd:annotation>

    <xsd:sequence>
      <xsd:element name="description"
           type="j2ee:descriptionType"
           minOccurs="0"
           maxOccurs="unbounded"/>
      <xsd:element name="transport-guarantee"
           type="j2ee:transport-guaranteeType"/>
    </xsd:sequence>
    <xsd:attribute name="id" type="xsd:ID"/>
  </xsd:complexType>

namespace j2ee is assigned xmlns:j2ee="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee"
where transport=guaranteeType can be NONE,INTEGRAL or CONFIDENTIAL
the latter 2 types imply use of SSL

Man in the middle fraud is a concern to all and one which should be dealt with the most secure
and reliable algorithm
available

anyone else?
Martin Gainty
Disclaimer and Confidentiality/Verzicht und Vertraulichkeitanmerkung/Note de déni et de confidentialité
This message is confidential. If you should not be the intended receiver, then we ask politely
to report. Each unauthorized forwarding or manufacturing of a copy is inadmissible. This message
serves only for the exchange of information and has no legal binding effect. Due to the easy
manipulation of emails we cannot take responsibility over the the contents.
responsabilité pour le contenu fourni.