tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Martin Gainty <mgai...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: tomcat Access logs
Date Mon, 25 May 2009 23:03:09 GMT

       logrotate  is  designed to ease administration of systems that generate
       large numbers of log files.  It allows automatic rotation, compression,
       removal, and mailing of log files.  Each log file may be handled daily,
       weekly, monthly, or when it grows too large.
http://iain.cx/src/logrotate/

and logrotate parameter copytruncate
       copytruncate
              Truncate the original log file to zero size  in  place  after  creating  a
copy,
              instead  of moving the old log file and optionally creating a new one.  It can
be
              used when some program cannot be told to close its logfile and  thus  might
 con-
              tinue writing (appending) to the previous log file forever.  Note that there
is a
              very small time slice between copying the file and truncating it, so some logging
              data  might  be  lost.   When this option is used, the create option will have
no
              effect, as the old log file stays in place.
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Log_File_Rotationlog4j and commons-logging are loggind implementations
specific to TC logging
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/logging.html

apparently logrotate (with copyrotate option) has the widest range of logging activity for
application, cron and webapps available

?
Martin Gainty

responsabilité pour le contenu fourni.