tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Andre-John Mas <>
Subject Re: tomcat no longer writing to log files
Date Fri, 15 May 2009 15:00:21 GMT

On 15-May-2009, at 10:37, Michael A. Repucci wrote:

>> Also, tomcat does work "out of the box". Incorrect administration
>> of any
>> system will stop it
>> from working out of the box.
> Honestly, what I'm most frustrated about isn't Tomcat, per say, but
> the
> stuff written by my colleagues that should work with Tomcat. I'm a bit
> baffled how the über-cross-platform Java (and its disciples Ant and
> Tomcat)
> could be used to create code that is extraordinarily sensitive to the
> version and platforms on which it is compiled and run. I suppose
> that's just
> because the code was poorly written, and you could probably write
> platform-
> and version-dependent code in any language, but it would have been
> nice if I
> could have installed whatever the latest packages were on my system,
> and
> compiled and run successfully the first time. Instead I'm spending
> upwards
> of a week learning all the internals. I guess that's useful in the
> long run,
> but I could just use some good and patient guidance. Sorry to have
> stepped
> on anybody's toes, and thank you all for your help.

I hate to say it, but the best way to make Java code have issues is
trying to
be too smart when doing something. This usually results in code that
in certain narrow situations, but not the rest. What I mean by being
smart' is when someone try to make the best 'uber' code possible,
which ends
up being convoluted and only understandable to the author when it was
written. I am not saying it is the case here, but programming is like
hand writing, in that you do yourself a favour by making sure it is
well enough that someone else can read it and yourself in a month's

On the other hand, there are different version of servlet specification,
of Java, of Tomcat and each has their incompatibilities. Learning how to
make your code work in the widest range of conditions will help make
you a better programmer, IMHO.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message