tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>
Subject Re: Performance with many small requests
Date Tue, 12 May 2009 20:03:43 GMT
On May 12, 2009, at 13:09, "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldarale@unisys.com
 > wrote:

>> From: David kerber [mailto:dckerber@verizon.net]
>> Subject: Re: Performance with many small requests
>>
>> From these tests, it looks like, under windows XP and java 1.5
>> any way, that atomics are always faster
>
> Try it under 1.6; Sun made major improvements to synchronization
> handling between 1.5 and 1.6.  When I reran my tests on 1.5 (which I
> don't use these days), I got numbers similar to yours.  1.6 is much,
> much faster.

This reminds me of perfomance "optimizations" that people used to make
in their Java code such as converting String objects to byte arrays to
do operations on them because "everyone knew" that it was faster.
Then, Sun came along and optimized the String API implementation,
causing all those "optimizations" to then be slower than the
straightforward implementatios of string ops. That "optimized" code
also has the added advantage of being confusing to read.

I agree with Chuck's assertion that understandability ought to be a
more important goal than maximum possible performance.

-chris