tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Jack, Brandy" <bj...@quiktrip.com>
Subject RE: Weekly restart of Tomcat service
Date Wed, 06 May 2009 20:52:31 GMT

If we don't restart, the users cannot access the application.
It is java based (I think) and they blame it on the SQL server (of
course) which is an entirely different server.
I am looking in the tomcat log files from days past.
But I'm not sure which log files contain the errors I should be looking
for.
Is it the catalina files or the stderr files?

Brandy Jack
I/S Dept
Database Management
ofc: (918) 615-7743
cel: (918) 527-4027

-----Original Message-----
From: Hassan Schroeder [mailto:hassan.schroeder@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 06, 2009 3:49 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: Weekly restart of Tomcat service

On Wed, May 6, 2009 at 1:35 PM, Jack, Brandy <bjack@quiktrip.com> wrote:

> We currently have a 3rd party application that isn't stable and we
have
> to restart Tomcat at least once a week to keep the application
running.

> We have nagged the 3rd party vendor so much about other application
> fixes that asking them to fix this would require some information and
> statistics that indicate it is a coding or configuration issue.

What happens if you /don't/ restart? Aren't there log messages that
would be enough to convince them there's a problem?

> Has anyone had any experience in regards to gathering performance
stats
> for Tomcat

Here's one from lambdaprobe running on my production server (on
Tomcat 6.0.x) -- "UP for 328 days 19 hours 34 minutes"

One example of *not* requiring weekly restarts  :-)

FWIW,

The information in this e-mail from QuikTrip Corporation is confidential and may be legally
privileged.
It is intended solely for the addressee.  Access to this e-mail by anyone else is unauthorized.
 If you
are not the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this e-mail in error and
that any use,
dissemination, forwarding, printing or copying is strictly prohibited.  If you receive this
e-mail in
error, please immediately notify the sender via reply e-mail and delete this communication.

QuikTrip Corporation