tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Php, tomcat, mappings and authentication.
Date Fri, 29 May 2009 21:01:57 GMT
Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
>> From: dfobox [mailto:dfobox@gmail.com]
>> Subject: Php, tomcat, mappings and authentication.
>>
>> Can I make php work under Tomcat?
>
> It can be done, but it's less painful to do with httpd.
>
>> Can I make apache render php pages, while Tomcat renders jsp?
>
> That's probably better.
>
>> Is it easier to implement mailing and registration on php
>> instead of jsp, as it seems to me?
>
> That may well be only because you're more familiar with PHP.  Personally, I would keep
everything on Tomcat, in Java (admittedly, I am less familiar with PHP, plus it can become
a maze of twisty little passages rather quickly).

>> I'm using basic authentication provided by tomcat, with
>> username and password stored in tomcat-users.xml file in
>> apache-tomcat-6x/conf directory.
>
> Definitely wouldn't recommend such a mechanism for production use - not terribly robust,
and subject to hacking if anyone has read access to the conf directory.  Tomcat provides several
alternative built-in realms:
> http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/realm-howto.html
>
> Or you can use a popular filter with more options:
> http://securityfilter.sourceforge.net/

Or, if you decide to do the PHP part and do it under Apache httpd, then
you could do all the authentication at the Apache httpd level, and pass
the authenticated user-id to Tomcat (at least when using the mod_jk
connector).