tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat not closing threads -- SOLVED ??
Date Tue, 26 May 2009 20:28:46 GMT
Chetan Chheda wrote:
> Great thanks! I will test out the alternate method ...
>
> What I meant when I asked about gif files and tomcat was basically is it an expensive
transaction for tomcat ajp13 vs apache vs tomcat's http connector? I guess in other words
I am trying to assess the impact my proposed changes in our environment.

Maybe you should look up the thread, on this same list, entitled "Apache
httpd vs Tomcat static content performance".

The first question you should be asking yourself is, if you only serve
some static content + java stuff, do you need Apache httpd and mod_jk in
front, or can you use just Tomcat directly as a httpd server ?
Tomcat and Apache are in many scenarios very close in performance when
it comes to serving static content, and you would spare yourself some
complication and overhead by using just Tomcat.

If you do need to use Apache httpd for some reason (and there may be
valid reasons), then the overhead of mod_jk itself is probably not going
to kill you.  It will add mere fractional milliseconds to the whole cycle.

There are a lot of threads on this list that discuss the same subject
generally.