tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Using IP and Auth Constraints together
Date Fri, 15 May 2009 11:36:32 GMT
Shashank Rachamalla wrote:
> Hi!
> Is there any way to configure <security-constraint> for a webapp to
> disable authentication and authorization for a particular IP address and
> enable it for all other IP addresses.

Probably not, since I doubt that this is foreseen by the Servlet
Specification.
But I can think of a way, subject to confirmation by an expert on this
list :

You could write a simple servlet filter, which checks the caller's IP
address, and if it matches, sets the user-id in the session to some
pre-determined value.
It is possible that when the authentication code finds out that there is
already a user set, it would just return OK and let the call through.
And for your application code, it would be easier to deal with a case
where there is always a user-id (even if one is a dummy), than have to
deal with some cases where it is not set, no ?

What I am not quite sure of, is whether a filter runs early enough to
precede the authentication part, or not.
I guess if not, then you would have to implement this as a Valve.