tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: General errors in virtual host setup
Date Thu, 14 May 2009 09:27:12 GMT
Dave Filchak wrote:

>> The site root is in /web/exodus.zuka.net/docs. I have added a ROOT
>> directory to this. I have moved my exodus.war file into this ROOT
>> directory. When I restart tomcat, the WAR file is not unpacked. I have
>> verified the site by creating an index.htm file and then changing it
>> to an index.jsp file and both work. Not sure why the WAR is not being
>> unpacked and deployed. Here is what I currently have for a configuration:

About the ROOT etc..

suppose you have a simple Tomcat, listening on port 8080, with just one
Host with one appBase directory (webapps), and the following file
structure :
TOMCAT-INSTALL-DIR ( = CATALINA_HOME) :
- bin
- conf
- log
- webapps

    /ROOT
       stuff1
       WEB-INF/
         web.xml
       META-INF/
         context.xml

    /exodus
       stuff2
       WEB-INF/
         web.xml
       META-INF/
         context.xml

(the META-INF part is optional)

then you have 2 applications :
- the ROOT application, which is the *default* application.  This is the
application that users get when they request a URL like :
http://server.company.com:8080/
- the "exodus" application. This is the application that users get when
they request a URL like
http://server.company.com:8080/exodus/

You can make the exodus application be the default one, so that users
will get the exodus application when they enter the URL
http://server.company.com:8080/

For that, you would :
- remove the current webapps/ROOT directory and all its content
- rename the directory webapps/exodus to webapps/ROOT

Note that, in that case, there would *not* be a "exodus" subdirectory
under webapps/ROOT.  Your "exodus" directory has now become "ROOT".

Similarly, if you want to deploy your application from a war-file and
have this application be the default application, then you have to do
the following :
- create your war-file by taking the *content* of the current "exodus"
directory (not including the directory "exodus" itself, only its content)
- name this war-file ROOT.war
- drop this war-file ROOT.war directly in your Tomcat's "webapps" directory.
Tomcat will then unpack it, create the webapps/ROOT directory and its
content, and your application will be the default application, and users
will access it via
http://server.company.com:8080/

So, in summary, your application will be
- *either* the default application, deployed under webapps/ROOT, by
dropping a file called ROOT.war directly into the webapps/ directory,
and will be accessed via
http://server.company.com:8080/
- *or* the "exodus" application, deployed under webapps/exodus, by
dropping a file called exodus.war directly into the webapps/ directory,
and will be accessed via
http://server.company.com:8080/exodus

but not both.