tomcat-users mailing list archives

From David kerber <dcker...@verizon.net>
Subject Re: Performance with many small requests
Date Tue, 12 May 2009 20:39:27 GMT
Christopher Schultz wrote:
> On May 12, 2009, at 13:09, "Caldarale, Charles R"
> <Chuck.Caldarale@unisys.com> wrote:
>
>>> From: David kerber [mailto:dckerber@verizon.net]
>>> Subject: Re: Performance with many small requests
>>>
>>> From these tests, it looks like, under windows XP and java 1.5
>>> any way, that atomics are always faster
>>
>> Try it under 1.6; Sun made major improvements to synchronization
>> handling between 1.5 and 1.6.  When I reran my tests on 1.5 (which I
>> don't use these days), I got numbers similar to yours.  1.6 is much,
>> much faster.
>
> This reminds me of perfomance "optimizations" that people used to make
> in their Java code such as converting String objects to byte arrays to
> do operations on them because "everyone knew" that it was faster.
> Then, Sun came along and optimized the String API implementation,
> causing all those "optimizations" to then be slower than the
> straightforward implementatios of string ops. That "optimized" code
> also has the added advantage of being confusing to read.
When (what java version) did those string operation optimizations
happen?  Sun's web page that talks about this (and explicitly says that
string buffers are usually faster than direct string operations) doesn't
mention a specific java version.

> I agree with Chuck's assertion that understandability ought to be a
> more important goal than maximum possible performance.
That's going to depend on the application's intended use.

Dave