tomcat-users mailing list archives

From David kerber <dcker...@verizon.net>
Subject Re: Performance with many small requests
Date Tue, 12 May 2009 13:27:33 GMT
Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
>> From: Peter Crowther [mailto:Peter.Crowther@melandra.com]
>> Subject: RE: Performance with many small requests
>>
>> That said, if a client has multiple data items to send in rapid
>> succession, does it accumulate those and batch them, or does it send
>> each one as a different request?  Or does the situation never arise?
>>

> Continuing with that thought, are the requests from a single client frequent enough to
warrant using keepalives?  Building and tearing down the TCP session on each request might
be adding noticeable delay, although your analysis of the heap dumps hasn't shown that yet.

See the message I just sent.  How difficult are keepalives to
implement?  Our app design is such that we are never supposed to go
longer than 5 minutes without at least a status update transmission.

Dave