tomcat-users mailing list archives

From David kerber <dcker...@verizon.net>
Subject Re: Performance with many small requests
Date Tue, 12 May 2009 12:42:36 GMT
Peter Crowther wrote:
>> From: David kerber [mailto:dckerber@verizon.net]
>> In my original post, I posted a bunch of numbers about
>> network and other
>> possible bottlenecks, and what it boiled down to was that neither my
>> firewall load, nor total internet connection bandwidth were close to
>> their limits.
>>

> Thanks.  Apologies for not referring back!

No problem; that was many posts ago...

>> I do have questions about the number of connections that
>> the OS networking stack can handle, but have not figured out how to
>> check on that.
>>

> As a first step:
> netstat -an > somefile.txt
> How many TCP sockets are there in the result?

Just over 1000 total, 810 to the port that this application is using.
The vast majority are showing a status of TIME_WAIT, a dozen or so in
ESTABLISHED and one (I think) in FIN_WAIT_1.

>> The outside world connection is a full T-1, running about 40% - 50%
>> capacity on average.
>>

> Dedicated or contended bandwidth?  Can you get the other 50-60% out of it if you try
hard from another machine on the same network, or do you never get it in reality?

That's our corporate connection, so it's shared across all users.  I can
easily run it up to 100%  it by doing a large d/l from somewhere (I need
to plan my patch Tuesday updates to avoid trouble), so my router and
firewall have no trouble handling the full bandwidth.  However, those
are low numbers of high-throughput connections.  This app produces large
numbers of connections, each with small amounts of data, so it may scale
differently.