tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Bill Davidson <bill...@gmail.com>
Subject Confused by mpm/mod_jk
Date Mon, 11 May 2009 21:15:19 GMT
I'm trying to understand mpm_worker MaxCLients and it's relationship
with mod_jk connection_pool_size.

Here's what I've got at the moment:

OS: Red Hat 5.2 Server
httpd: 2.2.11
tomcat-connector: 1.2.28
tomcat: 6.0.18
Java: 1.6.0_13

httpd-mpm.conf:

ListenBacklog      2048
<IfModule mpm_worker_module>
    StartServers          2
    MaxClients          256
    MinSpareThreads      25
    MaxSpareThreads      75
    ThreadsPerChild      32
    MaxRequestsPerChild   0
</IfModule>

workers.properties:

worker.tomcat1.type=ajp13
worker.tomcat1.host=127.0.0.2
worker.tomcat1.port=8009
worker.tomcat1.connection_pool_size=150
worker.tomcat1.connection_pool_timeout=600
worker.tomcat1.socket_keepalive=1

server.xml:

<Connector port="8009"
               protocol="AJP/1.3"
               address="127.0.0.2"
               redirectPort="443"
               maxThreads="150" />

Also, I've added these to /etc/sysctl.conf

# increase the maximum number of TCP connections.
net.core.somaxconn = 2048
net.core.netdev_max_backlog = 1024

I've got three separate boxes running their own httpd/Tomcat, load
balanced with LVS so total connections is actually 3x of what is
indicated above.

I'm feeling like MaxClients is a bit low, but I can't seem to satisfactorily
articulate why.  I'm going to be hit with a traffic storm (many thousands
of simultaneous connection attempts in a few minutes) in a few days, and
I'm thinking I should make sure I've got this right.  I went through it
maybe
8-10 months ago but that was long before I put these systems into
production.  I probably should have gone through it again a month ago but
didn't think to.

I'm also contemplating increasing connection_pool_size & maxThreads
(I'm pretty sure those have to be equal) since my database can handle
up to 1000 simultaneous connections and as it is, I've got a maximum
of 3*150=450 Tomcat threads that can access it at any given time.

Any useful advice on this would be appreciated.